Lincoln County, Montana Genealogy
Lincoln County, Montana ancestry and genealogy research page. Identify links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to aid you trace your own Lincoln Co., ancestors. Get going by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Lincoln County was created on March 09, 1909 from Flathead County. The county was named in honor of Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865), the 16th President of the United States.
Currently the Lincoln County Seat is located in Libby additionally, the county government website is http://www.lincolncountymt.us/
Areas surrounding Lincoln County are Flathead County (east), Sanders County (south), Bonner County, Idaho (west), Boundary County, Idaho (west), Regional District of East Kootenay, British Columbia (north).
Cities and towns to be found in Lincoln County comprise of Libby, Troy.
Lincoln County includes Federal Census Schedules to guide in exploring your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are present for 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. There are free online and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Lincoln County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Lincoln County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Montana Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Lincoln County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently fail to notice the value of Lincoln County court, probate, and land documents as a source of ancestry and genealogy information and facts. Hidden away in Montana courthouses and archives just about everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of many Montana men and women.
The odds are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a in-depth document of at least a few factors of their lives in the Lincoln County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, consider all of the other methods which could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
Remember to speak to the clerk's office to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will aid persons in obtaining the materials, but it's up to the individual to undertake the basic research.
The following information and facts shows what birth, death, marriage, property, wills, and court records will be in Lincoln County. The dates pointed out listed below are the first recognized records for this particular county.
- Lincoln County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 512 California Ave, Libby, MT 59923
- Phone: (406) 293-7781
- Lincoln County Clerk and Recorder responsibilities include but are not limited to, recording and maintaining the majority of all the legal documents relating to real estate records, land descriptions, plats and surveys, county birth and death records and the records of the Board of County commissioners.
- Bierh / Death Records: 1897
- Land Records: 1909
- Lincoln County Clerk of District Court
is responsible for all District Court records. These records include Adoption, Civil, Criminal, Dependent Neglect, Domestic Relations, Guardianship, Juvenile, Paternity, Probate and Sanity cases. The clerk also issues, files and records all Madison County Marriage license applications and license.
- Marriage / Divorce Records: 1896
- Probate Records: 1909
- Court Records: 1909
- Montana Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Montana for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
Montana Historical Records
- Databases include Montana Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Montana Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Montana Voter Lists & Census Records; Montana Immigration & Emigration Records; Montana Obituary Records; Montana Military Records; Montana Family Tree Records; Montana Pictures; Montana Stories, Memories & Histories; Montana Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Lincoln County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Lincoln County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own favorite Lincoln County genealogy or family history related sites.
Lincoln Co. MT Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lincoln Co. MT Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lincoln Co. MT Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lincoln Co. MT Census Records
Lincoln Co. MT Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lincoln Co. MT Church & Bible Records
Lincoln Co. MT Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lincoln Co. MT General and History Websites
Lincoln Co. MT Immigration & Naturalization
Lincoln Co. MT Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lincoln Co. MT Military Records
Lincoln Co. MT Schools & Directories